Simple Warehousing in the USA
Store, manage and move goods
US third party logistics (3PLs) are outsource companies who manage the global or US supply chain roles for manufacturers, retailers, eCommerce brands and industrial companies. 3PLs companies in the USA specialize in the North American supply chain and logistics with partners across the nation. Third-party companies also have international partners and can manage most end-to-end supply chain demands.
In the US, 3PLs offer logistics and warehousing services for storage, inventory management and order fulfillment from a single or multiple US warehouse locations. Some third party services provided by warehousing in USA include:
- Order fulfillment for direct-to-consumer and business-to-business customers
- Distribution centers and bulk fulfillment of goods
- Transloading services from floor-loaded container to multiple palletized, LTL truckloads
- Freight, transportation and trucking solutions
- End-to-end supply chain solutions for customized business requirements
Warehousing and fulfillment USA service providers are used by domestic and international brands with a growing market in the US. The purpose of warehousing and fulfillment services in the United States is to ship orders to customers from supply chain hubs across the US. These hubs are called fulfillment centers and are near customers.
Retailers, eCommerce brands, manufacturers and industrial businesses of all sizes and markets outsource warehousing and fulfillment to USA third-party logistics (3PL) companies. The main reason companies use fulfillment services in the US is to store products closer to their customers. By storing inventory in warehouses near customers’ homes, you ensure orders arrive to customers on time with less shipping cost.
3PL providers are a solution to get orders to USA customers faster without costing your business an arm-and-a-leg in expansion costs. By using a 3PL, you remove the operating cost, startup capital required and danger of spreading the leadership team too thin by warehousing and fulfilling orders from your own USA facility.
3PLs are logistics experts with warehouses operating across the US. Third parties are able to scale your supply chain rapidly as your footprint expands.
Today, third-party logistics providers 3PLs offer important services to help in-house operations teams reduce cost, increase accountability and define efficient logistics processes.
The supply chain and global trade are more complex than ever. Growing operations run into new challenges daily and require a lot of energy to launch new value streams in the supply chain. 3PL providers remove this barrier to entry by taking on the brunt of supply chain expansion efforts.
Third-party logistics providers are supply chain professionals who allocate experts to partner with you. Partners are as hands-on (or off) as you prefer. The 3PL experts can design custom, end-to-end supply chain plans for each product line. Or they can simply fulfill orders. You are in control of what is outsourced today.
Outsourcing operations in your warehouse adds expertise, removes stress and reduces waste in your supply chain
The advantages of outsourcing warehousing in USA are far reaching since third-party logistics (3PLs) are strategic business tools. Outsourcing warehouses and 3PLs exist to add valuable resources to projects, support growth, solve on-demand supply chain needs, and remove logistics challenges when they arrive.
Calculate the ROI of strategically partnering with a compatible outsourcing warehouse to understand the financial and non-tangible return on investment in a 3PL relationship. 3PLs cost less than running your own growing operation and also give your team time to focus on your core business competencies.
ROI advantages of outsourcing warehousing include:
- Reduced costs of daily operations
- Expertise in logistics to run your operations efficiently
- Scalability backend operations to expand to new territory
- Beneficial relationship for business development
- 3PLs want to help your business succeed so they can grow too
Best shipping location for online order fulfillment is near customers
The best shipping locations to fulfill online orders delivered in the US are near the majority of your existing and forecasted customers.
To find the ideal shipping location, consider your current state and forecast the future geographic footprint in the US market. Get started with these questions to identify where to find a warehouse partner:
- What are your business and growth goals in the USA?
- Because the 3PL must help you grow and keep up
- Where will goods enter the USA? What sea port or airport?
- Because moving goods is expensive. Moving them less is usually better.
- Where is the order density of customers most concentrated?
- Because customers expect to receive orders quickly. If 80% of customers are in New York City, get an East Coast fulfillment center.
Generally, there are 4 regions to consider for warehouses and shipping locations in the USA:
- East Coast warehouses to serve the Atlantic coast of the United States
- Midwest location to serve the middle of the States with reasonable ship times to the West Coast
- Texas facility for quick shipping to Texas, SoCal and the Midwest
- West Coast warehouse in California to serve the Pacific coast and nearby states.
A single fulfillment center works great for many brands who have concentrated customer populations or if 3-7 day shipping is acceptable.
If final-mile, one-day or two-day deliver are a priority the 3PL you work with must have multiple warehouse spaces across your country. To achieve these fast delivery times, inventory is split across warehouses throughout the United States. Customers orders are sent to the warehouse with the shortest, cheapest shipping route.
Businesses should use a fulfillment company for warehousing in USA if they need logistics expertise to scale all or part their supply chain. Fulfillment companies are supply chain professionals who optimize logistics processes for a living. Their logistics expertise is the core of running an efficient USA warehouse operations. This expertise makes them an invaluable and knowledgeable partners who run efficient supply chains and are able to scale quickly.
A warehousing partner in the USA is a good option to consider when any of these apply:
- Order volume and order density in the US is increasing
- Customers complain about shipping times to the States
- Products require problematic customs clearance
- Goods need additional services or handling before shipping to USA customers
- Launching retail or eCommerce sales in the USA
If you are a fulfilling small order volumes, consider fulfilling from your own facility until volume increases. For instance, 3PLs are not cost effective for shipping only 10 orders each day. In this case, it would be better to fulfill with your current solution until demand in the United States increases.